Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 4 India, Saturday

Last night at supper Suresh asked us to help out with an unscheduled project. It the project would be going into a field where Harvest India has planted 2,000 Teak trees and removing all the new branches that are starting to grow so that they don't take strength away from the tree. The whole team was very excited to get to do some work and we all said absolutely! Suresh said we were the first team to get to do this and he was impressed at how not 1 of our team members even asked about cobras or spiders or anything like that. This tree farm is the first of many in an effort to make harvest India self sustainable. It will take 15 years till harvest but when that time comes they will earn $50,00+ profit. So this morning we got up at 7 and headed to the field and started ripping off branches. To get some of ten off you have to bend the tree down and hold it with 1 had and twist and pull with the other, well on my second tree I bent it down, started to twist and a HUGE ant fell down my shirt, and in my bra. So here I am shaking my shirt like a crazy person trying to get the dang thing out and *snap* it Bites me!! And it hurt! No big deal just kinda one of those "SERIOUSLY" type moments :) it was so nice to be out there doing that type of work. While we were working a neighbor woman made chai and sent it over for us. What a wonderful blessing, it was so good and felt like God sent is a special blessing for being obedient. I was happy to find that he also cleared the way of cobras lol :) hen we finished we went back to the hotel to shower, then to the mission house for breakfast, then over to day 2, our last day, of VBS. We sang more songs an acted out Jonah and the whale and the good sumatitan. It was hilarious and the kids loved it! And we had a blast as we sweat off 10 pounds dancing to some of their songs with them. It was such an awesome day again. Bryan T, Brian W, Deborah, and I did games again and man do those kids go crazy for Simon says. Before we went to serve lunch Suresh introduced us individually and presented us with a scarf, and a plaque to remember our trip. When I walked back to my seat I looked out at all those kids, 1,050 kids, and I lost it. The tears just started coming harder and harder. In just 2 short days these kids have stolen my heart and I was not ready for us to be done yet. I could do that everyday of my life. It's wild to think that I am here in India with chaotic driving, prostitution running rampant, cockroaches everywhere, cold showers and in most places pretty much having to pee in a hole on the ground(even inside) but I am so joyful. This is not the person I used to be. God has changed my heart so much in the last year and I can see it now. I love it here. All these things I could complain about and yet I find less to co
Plain about here than in the states! An the things we do just feel normal. Isn't that crazy?!? And just incredible.
We got to serve them lunch again today, and I so love the opportunity to serve them. The children are delecs, the lowest of the low, called the untouchables. In this town if they are not taken in (or ministered to) by harvest India many of these girls will end up as prostitutes. Their lives will consist of being forced to have sex with at least! 10 men a day and usually closer to 20. They will be abused, and beaten. To show these kids love and hug them, and tell them they are important, that they matter, fills me up with joy. Harvest India gives these kids hope for a better life but not just hope... They offer a way.
After we served we had our lunch and then the VBS rally! We all put on crowns with a bible verse on them and marched the streets of this Hindu tow with 1,050 children. Suresh led the way on a truck singing songs, and preaching the gospel!! This is unheard of here. While we were stopped and he was preaching a Hindu home opened their doors, and gave the children water. And 1 Muslim man went up to Suresh and gave him 100 Rupees and then gave his life to Christ. I really feel like with more support WE could make a difference in this community. The girls walking next to us were giving each other and arguing over who got to walk next to is and hold our hand.
Once back we waved as they all left the building. As we drove off they swarmed te car and waved and yelled. They said "miss you"
They will forever hold a special place in my heart.
*I wanna take A minute and say that the building we worshipped in was rented. It was a Hindu temple. When setting up for VBS the Harvest India team hung drapes over the paintings of the Hindu Gods and we were able to use a building built for false worship to teach hundreds of children that God loves them! Also there were only expected to be 300 kids at VBS but on day 1 there were 800! On day 2 it grew to 900 an by day 3 God blessed us with 1,050 children. The children are roughy by taxi-bus that is paid for by Harvest India. Some of the kids travel as much as 2 hours. They are also served breakfast and lunch as well as any materials they would need. As you can imagine there is a huge cost difference between 300 and 1050 kids... The difference works out to be $7,000. Harvest India relys on faith in God provisions and will not turn anyone away. with so many children they could use some extra donations and supplementing. If anyone would like to donate you can visit the website
Www.harvestindia.org
Please just go and look at the site for more information on what they do.*
After being outside all day I think we may have sweat off 5 lbs, so we came home to freshen up then went to dinner. We were so excited that our saree's were brought from Tenali and were at the house waiting for us!! AND Christina gave all of the girls house dresses(SO comfy!) wonderful people and a wonderful organization.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment