Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 3 India, Friday

(Thursday continued)
We had a great dinner with Suresh, his wife Christina and his daughter Nancy last night. We ate in a home that will eventually be a team house once it renovated. The story behind the house is pretty good too. When HI was looking to buy a home they came to this one. This home was actually being used for a brothel, and the women owning it sold it and left in such a hurry that he even left all the furniture. It has many rooms and in this town some if the brothels will post pictures of Jesus around because they want to give the impression that they are good people. Some of the doors are made of a frame with dangly wooden crosses all over it( see pic below) God pressed Suresh to buy at just the time and this house is perfect for what needs to be done. Because of the renovations that need to be done we will be staying a a motel in town. Peddipuram has the highest rate for prostitution around. It is crowded and full of Hindu temples. It truly is a dark place. No one looks happy, and they stare at you coldly and like they are empty inside. The hotel we are staying in is right in the middle of town. Today while We were driving we had a heard of water buffalo come right down the street past us as well as some pigs! Tomorrow we will go teach day 2 and 3 of VBS to kids from the town. Today they did day 1and were expecting 300 to show up...well God has blessed us and there were 800!! They are expecting more tomorrow. I am SO excited to get to work with the kids.

(Friday)

Well last night I did not get much sleep. I thought I would not need a blanket so I left mine at the house in Tenali, but I ended up waking up about a dozen times because it was so cold in here. The fan and the ac make it pretty chilly. But, I made what had work the best I could. I used my mosquito net to wrap around my feet and legs and then used my macabee skirts as 2 blankets, 1 for the top 1/2 ad 1 for the bottom 1/2 :) I felt pretty happy with myself for being crafty! Lol VBS was amazing!! Today there were almost 900 kids and they project tomorrow will be 1,000!!!! They greeted us here the same as the orphanage. 2 lines boys on 1 side girls on the other about 600 kids, 300 on each side throwing flowers up, smiling, and reaching out for you hand. I was smiling so hard that my cheeks felt like they might just rip apart. How blessed am I that these children would be so happy to greet me? What have I done? The answer is nothing. Nothing but look. Nothing but smile. All these kids want is attention. Something so small to us but so big for them. Something we throw away watching television... Our attention and our time. We sang with them, acted out some parable skits, and then divided into groups. I did games with Jerry, Brian T, and Ryan. The girls all crowded around me and wanted to shake my hand and say hi. I had one little girl reach over from the side and just touch my skin and I heard her giggle. Hundreds of girls. There are lots of boys here to. We played Simon says and duck duck goose and it was so much fun. They are so sweet and beautiful. Before we broke for lunch their instructor had all the girl line up and walk through shaking my hand and telling me their names. The after that they all yelled " what's your name?!" I told them my name and he had them chant it to cheer for me. That was a humbling experience. I was so red and smiling again.Then about 10 of them grabbed my arms and wisked me off to the building. They kept running up and pinching my cheeks, then kissing their hand. That is them kissing, and the teacher said They like my smile. I had so much fun it was hard not to smile! Next we served the kids lunch. They came through the line and we put curry and a side on their plates. One thing I LOVE about harvest India is that the people can eat as much as they want until the food runs out. They get certain size portions but as soon as they are finished they can have more If the want it.
After we served them their lunch we went back to the mission house to have ours. We had pomegranate seeds, a slice of angel food cake, a triangle tortilla with potatoes curry inside (fried) it was delicious, but a little hot!
After snack we went back to VBS. We acted out David and Goliath and did the chicken dance with them. We got another group of kids for games. This one was larger and mostly younger kids. Walking outside they crowded around me so much I literally could not move and had girls from every direction trying to grab my hands. I felt like I was in the center of a mosh pit. We played more Simon says and then we split up into an inner circle and an outer circle graves hands and the circles ran opposite ways. I had so much fun running and playing with them. I took a few pictures but it's hard to do much. If you take 1 child ALL the others want you to take theirs as well. This one little girl in particular is so beautiful. Her name is Akila. We ended at 4pm and had dinner at the home and then came back to the hotel early to rest. Tomorrow we will get up for day 2 of VBS!














- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment