Sunday, September 11, 2011

Slow and steady

Okay, so there a million things I would like to write about right now, but I'm going to keep this post strictly about my training. I typically get my running in at night. I put the boys to bed and wait about 2 hours and then run laps around my cul-de-sac and up to the mailbox with a baby monitor. Tonight when it came time for from my run I was all pumped up and raring to go at 10:55 at night and have nothing to do with all that energy! lol... So I did not make it to 2 miles tonight(I'll explain in just a minute) however I did run 1.5 miles, then I said screw it to the scorpions, and large spiders that come out to roam at night and ran another .25 miles barefoot. This is a big deal for me. I am not a fan of creepy crawly's at all and 4 years ago when we moved to Louisiana I NEVER would have thought I'd do that. I have gotten used to them lately. So in the end I ran a total of 1.75 miles. I have seriously been concentrating on my form and have been walking barefoot as much as I can get away with so my feet faired much better than my last attempt. I stretched for about 30 minutes afterwards and I feel great! Now I am a little bummed to not have done 2 miles today but I was having some calf pain and Monday at the gym I was stretching and made it worse. It hurt quite, a bit even just to walk, and was super tight. So I have been using RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) every night and stretching really well. It helps a lot but after the run I'm still feeling it. I've actually got it laying on ice packs right now. As a new runner it's hard to tell what is my body saying I can go further and what is my ego telling me it wants to go further, so when I find myself at a crossroads i take the long view and the safe choice. Tonight I could have gone further but would rather save it, than push to much and then have to take 2-6 weeks off for recovery!! Between my runs at night, and my hour and a 1/2 at the gym 3X a week I feel great! I'm going slowly but I am on track to be where I need to be, which I am more than happy with.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Are you training for anything in particular - or just running for fun. I know (through your husband on FB) that you are doing the Komen 5k. I will be there also.

    On Saturday - some friends and I are doing the Pink Dress Walk in Alexandria - it is a fundraiser for the Komen. Not a run - just some food and fun.

    ReplyDelete